Saturday, January 15, 2011

Back from D.C.

The past week I have been in Washington D.C. for my internship orientation. During this week long orientation I learned all about military families, children and how child development centers work on Navy, Army and Air Force bases. My week started with a cab ride through the city getting to see the sights from a distance. I was greeted at the conference center by the people who I have been emailing for the past few months about this program. The first night there a group of interns went out on the town. Found a bar called the barking dog where we watched the national championship football game. The next day everyone was so tired from the night before we played card games, air hockey, pool and an array of video games. It was a great chance to talk with people from all over the United States and world. We met people from France, Brazil and Japan. That same night, a few people in our group got to see snow for the first time in their life. We had a huge snowball fight, with a bunch of 16 year old French kids. They thought I was a big professional baseball player. To say the least, it was a fun time. Wednesday night the same group went into D.C. Here I got to see the white house, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial and WWII Memorial. I saw the Capital, Arlington Cemetery, The Pentagon, and Jefferson Memorial from a far. All very very cool. Vietnam was one of the most somber, moving things I have ever had the chance to see. Lincoln is way bigger than you think too. We took city buses, and the D.C. metro which was another experience in itself. The final night we were there we went out again to a place that had dollar beers, and dollar drinks from 10-11. It was a great time to bond with the other interns and have some fun while doing it. Overall it was a absolute blast over there and I want to go back and see more.

Tomorrow Mom and I begin our journey to Chicago. We will be driving over 12 hours to Rapid City South Dakota. It should be a good time. Will keep everyone updated on the journey and experiences in Chicago and the life on a Navy Base.

No comments:

Post a Comment