Tuesday, February 15, 2011

First time in Chicago

After multiple requests from family I have decided to update this thing. It is a lot harder than i thought to keep this thing updated regularly. Anyway this past weekend I was able to go into Chicago. I went with a friend Lucas who works at navy housing development about 45 mins away. We took the train right outside of base right to downtown Chicago. We didn't really know what to do so we started looking for real Chicago style pizza. We found a place and walked about a mile to it, of course it was closed. But right across the street was a place called Al's Italian Beef. It was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. We then walked to the Willis Tower, formally known as the Sears Tower. Ended up waiting in line for about an hour to get to the top because the elevators were broken. So instead of getting on one elevator to the top, we took 3! One of which was a massive industrial elevator. We got to the top and it was incredible. It was a gorgeous day and you could see forever. The new addition there is the thing called the sky deck. It is a glass box that extends out of the 103 floor. You step out on it and you are standing on a 2 inch piece of glass looking straight down over the street. It is in the picture. It was a weird feeling. From there we walked down by memorial park, by the big Picasso mirror bean. It was cool. Walked on lake shore drive and ended up at Navy Pier. We walked there for a while and then stopped at the Billy Goat Tavern. This is where the Chicago Cubs curse of the billy goat began and was also featured on SNL... look it up. We then walked to one of Chicago's top 5 pizza places called Gino's East and had some of the best pizza of my life. On the way we walked the Magnificent Mile which was full of stores I don't belong in. We decided to catch an earlier train to get back home so ended up speed walking/slight jogging a mile or so to catch a train. We made it with about 2 mins to spare. On the way home our train hit a pedestrian at one of the stations. The man was not killed but we were delayed about 90 mins. Finally got back Great Lakes and crashed. Overall was a great day. Still need to see some of the museums, China Town, Little Italy, and Greek Town. Maybe this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment